Pinsk - a city in Belarus, in the Polesia region, traversed by the river Pripyat, at the confluence of the Strumen and Pina rivers. The region is known as the Marsh of Pinsk. It is a fertile agricultural center. It lies south-west of Minsk. The population is about 130,000. The city is a small industrial center producing ships sailing the local rivers.
The historic city has a beautifully restored downtown full of two-story buildings dating from the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century.
The historical downtown itself represents a monument of national importance. Two main sights of the town are lined along the river. These are the Assumption Cathedral of the monastery of the greyfriars (1712-30) with a campanile from 1817 and the Jesuit collegium (1635-48), a large Mannerist complex, whose cathedral was demolished after the World War II. The foremost among modern buildings is the black-domed Orthodox cathedral of St. Theodore.
The leading enterprises of the city are: Pinskdrev Holding Company, The Pinsk Factory of small-scale mechanization vehicles, Amcodor Pinsk, Pinsk Dairy Products Factory, Pinsk Meat Factory.
The partnership agreement between Taganrog and Pinsk expired by the end of 2012.
For more information on Pinsk go to www.pinsk.by
Read Taganrog-Pinsk press releases on TaganrogCity.Com:
February 17, 2014
October 3-7, 2013
July 30, 2012
October 30, 2009
September 10-13, 2009
June 24-25, 2009